Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A message from a Messianic Jewish Publisher


THE VOICE OF THE LORD
We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God (Romans 8:28).
Sometimes we make poor choices in life. Later, we pout over the grim consequences: a child born out of wedlock; a jail term for dealing drugs; uninspiring career options as a result of poor grades; a chronic disease but no health insurance. Is this the time to say, cheerfully, "God causes all things to work together for good ..."?
The Talmud relates the experience of Rabbi Akiva while visiting an inhospitable town. He arrived in the evening and the innkeeper and home owners refused to grant him shelter. Rabbi Akiva was forced, with his candle, donkey and rooster, to spend the night in a field by the road. He lit his candle to study Torah, but the wind quickly blew it out. Then, a mountain lion attacked his donkey in the dark and carried it away. Still later, a weasel crept into the camp and stole the rooster. What a night! But Rabbi Akiva told himself, "This too is for the best."
At dawn, he awoke to discover the whole town had been ransacked and its inhabitants carried away by a band of marauding thieves. Had the townspeople given him shelter, had his candle remained lit, had his donkey brayed or his rooster crowed, he too would have been carried away with the rest. Rabbi Akiva gave thanks and continued on his way.
...commit myself to suspend judgment when I pass through the trials of life.

Oh, how I wish to have this attitude of contentment in my life. This makes me think of the words that echo out of Katie's, my friend and co-worker, mouth. She ALWAYS says, " I'm learning to be content in all things." Seriously, do you know how much energy we would save ourselves if we had the attitude of the Rabbi and Katie Sue? 

I will admit that there are times I get it and times I don't get it. We all know that life has different degrees of pain and disappointment and it takes others longer to get it  than other people.  That's where grace comes in..

When I read how the rabbi's candle blew out, I thought of my daughter-in-law Amy. I could hear her saying, " Now that's o.k. we can read the Torah tomorrow, it's no big deal."

We can learn a lot from one another, even though we are all made so different.

I was encouraged today by this Rabbi, he got it!
I'm working on it.

~ Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you