Saturday, April 4, 2009

I'm being stretched


Have you ever heard of the saying, Never say never?

My suggestion: Never say never.

This past Wednesday evening we brought my mother-in-law home to live with us. She is 100 % disabled and needs total care. 

She had fallen in her apartment 6 weeks ago and stayed in the rehab section of the hospital to gain strength, later she was sent to the rehab section of the nursing home to continue her physical therapy. Then without notice we were told that she had to leave because Medicare wouldn't pay for her to stay there anymore. 

Medicare has supplied all of the hospital supplies for our home, such as, a hospital bed,portable toilet, and a wheelchair. (blessings to them for that) But, they don't supply additional help for her other than physical therapy twice a week. 

The stretching part pertains to me saying, never will I be able to help someone with their bathroom needs. (other than children) I have a weak stomach and definitely know that it's not my cup of tea. My sister is a nurse and we agreed to take care of my mother if ever needed. I told her that I would do all of the cooking, cleaning and errands, but she could take care of the actually care of her body. Well, God has a sense of humor! 

Mammaw is more than welcome to live with us until her last day. But, there's only one problem with this whole situation. My husband and I work full-time and who's going to be here with Mammaw? She makes a limited amount of money and with that, we can't afford to hire help for her. 

Wow, life can really dish you out some trouble. 

Nevertheless, I am being stretched in ways that I never thought my rubber band would go. It's not always comfortable, but definitely doable in some form or fashion.

But the dilemma still remains come Monday morning.

What do we do with Mammaw?

Hope everyone is well,
Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you