Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thoughts to share


Today, I took a day off from work to go to 2 doctor appointments. Who in the world wants to waste a precious day off on the doctor? But, at the same time, who wouldn't be thankful for getting paid for it either? Yes, I'm thankful!

Right now, I'm sitting down at the waterfront park, drinking a coffee and enjoying the first day of cool weather. 

I was graced today by eating lunch with all three of my children, my daughter-in-law and all three of my grandchildren. And of course it was exciting to eat at one of my favorite restaurants. Japanese! Yum!

In February of this year my son and his wife left on a six month hike traveling the Appalachian Trail. They hiked from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Katahdin, Maine on foot. They are what you call, purists, because they walked every inch of the trail. ( They didn't skip any parts) 

When I heard that they were going to actually hike the trail, my heart cringed with fear. It was really tough to know that they were out there with all the Lions, Tigers, and Bears. And the bad guys too! It was tough releasing them to the Lord, but as time went on God seemed to work it out in my heart. As Hunter and Amy were strengthened in ways that I can't even begin to write about, because it really needs to be their story, God also strengthened those of us who were left here praying for them. But, if the truth be known, it was really praying and worrying. Which we all know that fear and faith don't fit in a man's heart at the same time. It's usually one or the other. After I became so worn down with fear and weariness, it was time to let the fear go. And there was proof! My son would call up and say things like," You wouldn't believe this rattlesnake that was directly on the trail that we walked, or when I was trying to take a picture of these really cute baby bears , the momma bear turned around and stood up on her back legs and roared at me, how about, we have numerous rivers to cross with our packs above our heads, you know 6 people have died doing that this year". 

O.k. what's a mother to do, I ask you? One thing the Lord kept saying to my heart was something that my sister shared with me many years ago. The Lord doesn't need a particular circumstance to take your child. The Lord didn't need the Appalachian Trail to take these two young adults. Scripture says, that it's appointed for man once to die. The rest is up to the Lord.  

I finally had to release the overwhelming thoughts of the two of them being on the trail or it was going to over take me.

Yes of course, there are still overwhelming thoughts and feelings that can overtake me in the course of a day. Prayfully, it won't take all of the worry and discomfort in my heart to finally turn it over to the Lord.

Have a great evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you